Monday, September 20, 2004

Been a long time since I rock'n'rolled

The new family computer is up and running, so I can resume my regular blogging. Where to begin? I've been continuing my trend of reading comics at a break-neck speed. Pat lent me several great books, the stand-outs being the first volumes of Hellsing and Ruorni Kenshin. This was my first go at reading manga "backwards". It took a while to get used to. From the library the big winners are Scout McCloud's Understanding Comics and Lynda Barry's One Hundred Demons. These books pack a one-two punch that really drills home a "write your own comics" punch. I'm so glad I picked up One Hundred Demons. Ms. Barry is a great comic artist/writer whose work is deeply personal yet immediately accessible. And her stuff is funny as hell too.

I've got several irons in the fire on the gaming front. Tonight is my weekly boardgaming get-together. Carl can't make it, so we'll have to find a game that plays well with three players. I wouldn't mind playing Puerto Rico again. Maybe I'll bring my Carcassonne set. This Wednesday is the second session of my Mob War mini-campaign. In the first session the O'Connor Boys busted up the Tolino Mob's bootlegging operation and "Big Al" Tolino will be looking for revenge! I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow to work on the game. Another thing I've been working on is HeroMachine2 character pics for my Justice League 5000 idea. I think I may end up doing this thing as a WinterWar one-shot, maybe using Mikko Kaupinnen's Powergame, a nifty little rules-light supers game. I'm kinda tempted to pursue using Blood of Heroes (the modern descendant of the original DC Heroes rpg), assuming I can track down a copy of the BoH Special Edition. Finally, Pat continues to help me refine my ideas for the 6 Islands Campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment