Thursday, August 03, 2006

A No-Brainer

I haven't been following it, but this year's Big Event from Marvel Comics is a little number called Civil War. The basic premise, as I've gathered online, is a rift between two groups of superheroes. One side favors government oversight and regulation of superhero activity and the other prefers the normal wild west state of affairs. In order to play to the tension of the event, fans are taking sides. I've seen banners on websites in support of the leader of one or the other faction. It seems you have the choice between:

This is the greatest comic book cover in the entire history of forever.


Captain America: The guy who has been punching Nazis non-stop for 6 friggin' decades.

-OR-


I hear he and Dick Cheney go hunting together sometimes.

Iron Man: Rich playboy/washed-up drunk.

Is that really supposed to be a tough choice? Can anybody explain to me why Spider-Man and Thor are apparently siding with Tony Stark over Cap? Why does Thor care about the politics of mere mortals at all?

I suppose if Cap where on the side of oppressive government sanctions against supers and Iron Man was for vigilante action, you might be able to make a case for siding with Shellhead. That might be an interesting scenario. But Captain America is on the side of unauthorized badguy punching and Tony Stark is for NSA wiretaps.

As the man himself would say: 'Nuff said.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:33 PM

    It's yet another stupidly clumsy political allegory that Marvel seems to think is so bloody clever and subtle. I've completely stopped reading Marvel at this point. Devil's Due Publishing has G.I. Joe, D&D, and Transformers. Now that's my type of comics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:44 AM

    That's interesting. I haven't followed it either, but when I read your post, I would have assumed that Cap and IM were on the other sides of what they are.

    Fuck it, what we need are Secret Wars again. That rocked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zachary: I cannot remember the last time I bought a new Marvel book. The Essential line is about the only thing I even look at these days.

    Brasky: That was a fun and stupid mini-series, wasn't it? I have a copy of the Secret Wars module that I've always wanted to run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... while Iron Man is sort of the 'official' leader of the pro-government side of this, Spider-Man is the real rallying point there in my mind - he's standing up for taking personal responsibility for his actions.

    ...and, if you read Cap's rhetoric, a lot of it emphasizes some very conservative tradition rather than freedom from oppression.

    In the actual comics (which I've read a couple of) the sides are less clearly drawn than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm not suprised that I don't fully understand the situation. I'm going off of what they're saying on a handful of comic blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Brasky...I would have thought Cap and IM were reversed...interesting...

    On a complete non-sequitur:

    Has IM every been pulled over for flying while intoxicated? Does he have something in his helmet to fake out the breathalyzer? Has he ever been on the receiving end of a COPS tv show segment? The mind wanders....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll certainly agree with you, though, on the Cap vs. Iron Man thing being a no-brainer. Iron Man just doesn't make that great a rallying point (which is actually acknowledged in the comics).

    The frustrating thing is that I get the feeling that they decided to put Spider-Man on the opposite side of Cap simply because they are the two most iconic of the charismatic Marvel heroes who could be reasonably involved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:07 AM

    Rich- I started a topic on the your very subject on my site. I need to know what people think. If IM is flying over Rhode Island from Manhatten, does he know the blood alcohol limit is .08? If a cop clocks him flying erratically, how does he pull him over? Does the cop get on his megaphone?

    ReplyDelete