Friday, August 11, 2006

Ron Edwards' Super Secret Project

Going over that same monster thread from which I pulled Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste, I found this quote from Ron Edwards:
The design decisions I've made with my current project are so not-RPG, but at the same time so dismissive of what's ordinarily called "consensual storytelling," that I cannot even begin to discuss it on-line. I can see the influences of Universalis, The Mountain Witch, and My Life with Master, but I cannot articulate the way that I have abandoned the player-character, yet preserved the moral responsibility of decision-making during play. That's all I'll say here, and I won't answer questions about it.

...

I don't know. I can see its parts forming, as with a mid-term embryo, but what it will be and how it will work, and who will use it for what purposes, I don't know. My current project may be right on track with it, or I may be veering off in a hopeless direction.

I have only this quote in isolation and I haven't really researched the matter further. But I'm a bit puzzled. Here's the guy who put the Forge, a huge collaborative site of game theory wonks, on the map. He could bring vast legions of fans to bear, get the public input of a dozen top indie designers, and employ playtesters across the globe. Why is this guy working in secret? I just don't get it. Even one such 'no questions, please' comment gives ammunition to the crowd of people who thinks the man is a fraud. It would be much wiser to keep your mouth shut completely than to bleat about working on a project that will redefine roleplaying. I don't expect comments like that from the guy who wrote the Fantasy Heartbreakers essays.

7 comments:

  1. From what you posted it sounded more like he was fumbling towards something that he felt might be incredibly niche (or even unworkable) rather than something he claims will revolutionize role-playing.

    Maybe he's working privately on this because he's still effectively in the idea stage and doesn't have a clear idea of it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be right, but I have trouble swallowing this coyness when you've got an internet audience that hangs on your every word, consisting of both faithful adherents and raucous detractors. Rather than coyly hinting at your new ideas I think it would be better to either lay your cards on the table for everyone to see or remain silent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case you haven't noticed, Ron has a habit of ignoring his audience on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're wrong. I think he plays to them while pretending to be disengaged. But I have no evidence of that, so it is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a guy who wants to sound mysterious and flippant, yet deep down inside wants folks to "ooh and Ahh" and ask him about it.

    He's like the guys at gaming conventions who say "I used to be in Special Ops. in the Army. But I cant talk about it".

    Guys who really worked Special operations in the Army never mention the fact.
    I know, cause i worked Special Ops in the Army... But thats all I can say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That may be.

    He seems to not care how people take his on-line comments. He might be intentionally affecting a persona there. I don't really care - I've mostl gotten to the point that I ignore his on-line presence unless someone points me to something that they think is particularly interesting/worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:25 AM

    The emperor has no clothes. He sounds like someone who wants to "blow everyone away" but: (1) wants to act like he doesn't care about that; and (2) doesn't have the idea to back it up.

    These posts are all about trying to stay relevant when you're know you're becoming irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete