Monday, October 09, 2006

Behold, the Brythunian Age

Lately I've been shifting through 20 pages of threads in the Classic D&D forum at Dragonsfoot and reading about Prussian gamer Settembrini's strategic approach to adventure gaming at theRPGsite (this thread and this thread were particularly edifying). And I've come to the conclusion that it's time for me to step up to the plate and join the Big League with a persistent, interactive homebrew campaign world centered around a bloodcurdling megadungeon. And I'm using the rules I first started out with, the '81 D&D Basic and Expert sets. I keep saying I haven't gotten all the mileage out of that set that I can and now I intend to prove it.

Anyway, to this end I have purchased a 300-page book to serve as my campaign journal. Every page is gridded so I can do dungeon maps right in there. Keeping all my notes together has been a major problem for me in the past. I'm a lot more likely to be able to hold on to a single book containing everything.

You may not be hearing a whole lot about this project in the future, since I'm organizing this puppy with paper and pencil rather than electrons. But I wanted to share with you a picture that serves as some visual inspiration for the kind of effect I'm trying to achieve:

1st edition Deities & Demigods, page 18.
In case you don't know, that is King Arthur laying the smack down on a troll! Kickass!

1 comment:

  1. Troll had it comin'. Prolly owes Art some money.

    Where'd you get that sweet, sweet book, there, chief? And can you give us more info? Pics maybe? Nudge, nudge?

    ReplyDelete