Monday, February 12, 2007

The Hulk is a friggin' racist

In issue 2 of the original Defenders our heroes are in the Himalayas all of three panels when the Hulk starts breaking this shit out:


So what the hell is going on here? Is this the result of years of being constantly reminded of his (freakish) green skin? Is Bruce Banner a closet racist, and what we see here is the Hulk as Banner's unmitigated id? Is writer Steve Englehart off his rocker?

Fathoming this whole situation is complicated all the more by the odd coloring Asians could end up back in the day.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:12 PM

    I'd blame the fact that he's dressed like the Sorcerer Supreme. Lord knows what creepy occult stuff is seeping into his already gamma-addled brain just then; Dr. Strange messes with the potent juju. Plus, that angry flying tribble might be psychic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should have made 2 things clear in my rant:

    1. The tribble is the poor sap's hat, which was on his head until the Hulk grabbed him.

    2. Doc Strange needs to get himself and Hulk to Tibet. So what does he do? He puts his Cloak of Levitation on the Hulk and then rides halfway around the world on Hulk's shoulders! That's the sort of crazy ass logistical nonthinking I expect from D&D players.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:32 PM

    My first guess about the "tribble" - seriously - was that it was a wig. I'm not sure why I assumed it was a wig rather than a hat. Maybe I figure this guy is like the Donald Trump of Tibet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading the DC Showcase Green Lantern book (it collects his earliest appearances). He has an eskimo sidekick who goes by the nickname "pieface", which, as a name, lives somewhere between endearing and insulting.

    You know, no matter how hard I stare at all my Chinese, Korean and Japanese friends, not one of them has yet turned yellow. Mostly, they're between pale white and light tan.

    ReplyDelete